Subject: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop?
From: "Vanhulsenbeek, Sander" <Sander.Vanhulsenbeek@solvay.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:07:52 +0100

Dear Luggers,

Thanks to you all for you contribution in the debate on this topic. I love
the wide variety of opinions and the positive and serious manner in which
they are expressed: the LUG at its best!

Jim Brick wrote: "you should always present your best picture". He hits the
nail right on its head!

Let's see what sort of pictures that could be, and what that has to do with
cropping

There is no doubt in my mind that in in any photography that is aimed at a
print or a picture on a monitor, cropping is a major tool in perfecting the
picture, before - there was the crucial word - it is presented to the
public. And there is also no doubt in my mind that when the picture is
selected for further us, magazines, books etc, cropping is what always
happens before the final presentation is ready.

Here cropping is a very important esthetic tool for photographer and
publisher to get that best picture.

My point is that when we discuss a picture that is presented to us, we see
it after the maker has done everything  to present his or hers best picture.
That, for me, is the moment where we should delve in the picture in more
depth - like discussing what we think and feel when we see it - rather than
again work at slicing off a bit here and there. I think any maker deserves
more than that! Not only a discussion on composition, but also on
significance and feel.

OK, for the PAW pictures the publication on the web is indeed an earlier
stage, like showing your pictures in your neighborhood photoclub. We all can
learn there, and certainly from the experts, how to crop.

FOM2 is different. And I must concede that pictures there are treated
differently. (Merits frequent visits and IMHO more publicity on the LUG)

Nevertheless, also for PAW, I would applaud those that do not restrict their
commentary to cropping suggestions, but do go further. I will, try, to join
in.

Exceptions: some Luggers do not wish to crop. Others make colorslides for
projection purposes, and then cropping is not an option. They have learned
to do their cropping while making the picture. A possibility for them : when
they present a PAW picture, tell cropping was not a consideration, somewhat
like Arne Helme did. Who does not like to crop.

I am one of them too (make my pictures mainly in color, some Scala B&W, for
projection) , and now, d - - -,  10 of my Mongolia pictures will appear in a
magazine, and I expect serious cropping by the publisher! Serves me right, I
suppose!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam Holland