Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop ...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:57:11 -0500

That is the question. Whether tis nobler to print full frame, and thus
depend entirely upon thine eye, or to crop, and pull from the captured image
that which almost escaped thee during the shoot...

Or some such bullshit.

I always do my damndest to print full frame, figuring that I was - in
theory - cropping with my lens choice, positioning, and framing. But there
are those times. And those needs...

I think cropping particularly has its place when putting together a book,
photo essay, photo story, what have you, where a piece of a particular image
may have great value as a bridge between images.

And then there are the times when the original shot just doesn't do "it,"
but cropping can produce a really spectacular image - for instance, Eugene
Smith's much reproduced shot of the black boy on the top of the street sign
reading "Pride Street." Take a look in the new "Dream Street" book where you
will find both the full frame, which is okay, and the cropped image, which
is stunning - (although I still wish he had used a damn light meter :-) )

Cropping, like flash ;-), Leicas, Nikons, Canons, Fujis, film, etc., is just
another tool - some people don't like the tool, others find it
indispensable.

B. D.