Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: A few thoughts about flash
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:35:13 -0800

Rolfe wrote:
>>> Tina,
>
> I completely agree, but the question is whether a Leica, or at least a
> Leica M,  is really the appropriate tool to use if a serious flash
> assignment is the problem at hand.
>
> If you were assigned to shoot a portrait of a CEO or a sports figure,
> for example, and knew that the range of possible locations included both
> interiors and exteriors, what cameras would you have at your disposal?
>
> I doubt very much that a Leica M and an SF20 would be your only option.<

Hi Rolfe,
Not to speak for Tina, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the M6 and the SF20
for that kind of assignment. Actually I've had similar as you describe, but
the subjects were Prime Minister's of Canada. :-)

If one has complete confidence in their equipment and know how to use it
under all kinds of light and personality situations you just roll with it
and shoot. It's no big deal.

And if you'd like to turn up the personality heat a tad, it was M6's I used
to cover both the Pope's and Her Majesty's visits to Canada. One puts the
personality aside as they are only your subject, as the most important thing
to concentrate on is capturing magical moments and if a photographer allows
themselves to get all up tight over whom the subject is, that's when they
make dumb ass mistakes and blow the shoot. :-)

 > The current Nikon and Canon top of the line SLRs and even the R8 handle
> this kind of thing very well. My concern is that trying to engineer this
> stuff into the M will diminish the very qualities that make them so
> wonderful for what they do best and that we will wind up with the best
> of neither world.<<

Naw we who are users of the M6 will always have cameras, as there are dozens
available all over the world if you really want one bad enough. And even if
Leica were to create some kind of electronic bastardized machine, it doesn't
mean we have to buy them as there will always be people who'll at sometime
wish to sell their normal M6.

And as far as using the Canon or Nikon it wouldn't cross my mind to even
consider it as long as I have my R8's.  And yes a flash to work with the R8
when the situation fully demands using one.
ted