Subject: Re: [Leica] A few thoughts about flash
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:09:03 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote and asked: ;-)
>>Ted,
>
> Could you explain to us again how you use flash powder with the M6...<<<

Hi Tim,
Quite simple actually. ;-)  I get black gun powder, pour it into an old
developer tray lined with heavy duty cooking foil and set it on a kind of
easel so the flash will bounce off the ceiling when it ignites and before
the ceiling goes black from the smoke.

This is a truly one shot exposure as we have to clean the ceiling after each
exposure. ;-)

Now the tricky part is getting the wires imbedded in the gun powder so when
I press the shutter release, the contact in the camera will send the signal
to the contacts in the powder igniting it as the shutter curtain opens long
enough for the flash to ignite, create the light flash and not an explosion
! :-) And inturn exposing the subject on film.

And that sequence of events is an old family secret not to be revealed for
50 years after my passing to the big darkroom in the sky.

So there you go eh? Nothing to it.
;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited