Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:09:51 -0500

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Rolfe
Tessem
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 12:12 AM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: [Leica] Re: NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN

> And a flash, like the Olympus, that will sync up to a 1000th? Where do I
put
> down my deposit on one. And if I have to buy an M7 just to use that flash,
> where do I get one of those.

And here is the problem -- all this focus on flash, flash, flash. If I
need a camera with truly sophisticated flash capabilities, I'm not going
to use an M camera and I'm certainly not going to use an M7 with half
the capability of cameras designed with a modern shutter such as, for
example, the R8 or even a Nikon FM3.

Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
New York City

Well, Rolfe - I'm someone who shoots primarilly with Ms, virtually always
with Tri-X at 800, and I always shoot available light unless I have no
alternative. HOWEVER - That doesn't meant that I wouldn't like an M with
real fill-flash capability, particularly for use outdoors when I want just a
touch of fill to get rid of racoon eyes, or want to lighten up shadows a
touch. With the current M, with a sync of a 50th, that's pretty well
impossible unless one is using verrrry slow film, which I don't use.

I certainly understand the mindset of the folks who want a plain vanilla
mechanical camera. What I don't understand are people who think that a
camera with additional features is a "bad" camera, and some sort of
violation of the myth of Leica. Again, if you don't want it, don't buy it.
If you don't need a particular feature, don't use it. I doubt that Leica
will be stupid enough to end production of the traditional M - the current
M6 TTL - but if they are, there are plenty of used bodies around, and plenty
of excellent repair folks who will keep them going long after most of us are
in our graves.

B. D.