Subject: [Leica] Re: A "how 2" flash question
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 05:12:32 -0600

Adam:

>I have an image in my mind of an effect I'd like to achieve: I'd like to shoot
>with a long shutter speed to get his drum sticks and high-hat as blurred - but
>use a strobe to freeze the drumstick in the middle of it's arc.

I'd start off making the flash exposure the same as the ambient.  1:1 ratio.
Then, increase the flash.  2:1.  4:1.  8:1.  (It's easier to do the math if
you stick with full stops.  :)  I'd guess that either the one-stop or 2-stop
difference would be about right.  I would also bracket between 1/8 and
1/30th shutter speeds.  That's already 12 different combinations.  Take 6
shots of each, and there's two rolls.  Probably something usable.  :)

Message from Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com> ([Leica] A "how 2" flash question)