Subject: [Leica] M3 door recovering
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:03:15 -0500

Well, it was bound to happen some day. My M3 developed Vulcanite disease
on the door recently, starting as one chip and going downhill quickly
from there.

After discussing the possibilities with Sherry, the best option she
could offer was also the cheapest -- a replacement rear door covering
from the M6 material. She said these are available from Leica for, get
this, $10.00. If so, it has to be the cheapest Leica replacement part
I've ever heard of :).

Unfortunately, the M6 leatherette isn't a great match for Vulcanite, so
this didn't seem too appealing. If the chipping had been bad enough to
justify recovering the whole camera, I would've gone that route though,
as there just aren't a whole lot of other viable options.

Then I remembered that Micro-Tools sells a replacement leatherette that
is supposed to be a better match for Vulcanite and I decided to at least
order a sheet and assess it before going further. It turns out that the
Micro-Tools 4040 leatherette is a near perfect match. I cut some pieces
to match the door size and then set about trying to get an acceptable
circle cut out of the middle for the film reminder. It took three tries,
but I finally did succeed with a steady hand and an Exacto knife. The
material has a backing which peels off to reveal the adhesive, so you
don't even have to mess with glue -- you just press it on.

I can recommend this material whole heartedly to anyone in the same
situation. Fortunately, the Vulcanite on the rest of my M3 body seems
solid.

Here's the Micro-Tools link:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=4040

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.coom    |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014