Subject: RE: [Leica] Friday FS/ NEW M7 / Akademie
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:39:39 -0000

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

"true, true, david.  but people have been discussing and speculating
about vapor M's in a complete vacuum for a long time.  now there appears
to be credible news from authorized USA dealers.

while i do like my classics, it's also true that since adopting the
noctilux, sometimes 1/1000 is a bit limiting."

Indeed, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, and trying it
out to see if it's what I want in an M.

However the one thing we can be *utterly* certain of, is that the next few
days and weeks will see a flurry of postings from folk criticising the new
model before they've even put a finger on it.

They will know they hate it, they will know it's less reliable, they will be
sure the batteries will fail next time they're in a fox hole under fire with
a deadline to meet. And they will know all this without seeing the real
product at all.

I feel so sorry for the bunnies at Solms who have to read these lists as
part of their job. It's one thing to have years of your work slagged off by
a reviewer who has looked at it and found it wanting, but quite another to
see it dismissed without even the courtesy of a decent examination. Yet
we've seen the latter happen time and again here...

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.