Subject: Re: [Leica] Michael's PAW for week 2
From: "Michael Abbott" <lists@mabot.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:35:40 +0200

  http://www.mabot.com/paw02/wk2%200112-0429.html

My main worry about the shot was that the figure isn't all that recognisable
as a person. Other angles (also from above) were mostly much worse. A strong
colour filter (via the channel mixer) helped a bit to separate her from the
green carpet, but the result depends a whole lot on how dark your monitor is
set. It's still my biggest gripe.

I cropped a little to get the central lighting box straight up-and-down. I'm
the kind of guy who struggle endlessly with horizons.

Had I been using my usual Nikon, I would probably have whipped out a wider
lens for all the shots. I'm not sure it would have made them better. One of
the things I'm really enjoying about using this old Leica III is having to
look for 50mm compositions. I've been spoiled by a bag full of zooms. I'm
also really enjoying B&W, previously I shot slides exclusively. Being able
to handhold 1/20th is also a nice change. A few pictures from late last year
are on photo.net if you're curious:
  http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=174661

A question (while I'm on): should I post non-leica PAWs to the list? A fair
number are likely to be brand N.

Thanks to Steve, Brad, BD, John, George, Félix and Don for comments. Heck
I'm going to learn a lot this year.

Michael

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Michael's PAW for week 2)
Message from "Richard Ogden" <rj.ogden@virgin.net> (Re: [Leica] Michael's PAW for week 2)