Subject: Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:37:56 +0100

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20020108181410.024bea10@pop.andara.com>,
"Robert G. Stevens" writes:
>Jim:
>
>A lot of people get a Noctilux with unrealistic expectations.  There are
>always trade offs.  In the case of the Noctilux, it can be very limited
>depth of field at closer distances.  It also vignettes at f1.  It is
>however, the best f1 lens in the world.
>
>In your case, if the people are more than a few meters away, the depth of
>field should be fine at f1.  If you are expecting tight head and shoulder
>shots, expect a lot to be out of focus.  At the close working distance, the
>Noctilux probably has less than an inch of depth of field.  It is so
>shallow that you can have the iris of the eye in focus, but the eyebrow and
>a lot of the rest of the face will be out of focus.  Arne Helme's PAW from
>last week shows the distances at which the Noctilux shines, particularly
>the main image.
>
>http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw01.html

Regarding the above mentioned link and the use of the Noctilux.  I cheated!  That is to say, there was only light to shoot at 1/8s at f1, which I cannot steadily hand hold, so I mounted the M6 on a monopod.  Consider a monopod and/or faster film before you consider the Noctilux.  It is way cheaper!

Concerning the Noctilux.  I have had mine now for more than three years.  Few other lenses have given me more disappointments than this lens.  Only the last year I have obtained really nice photos with it.  It is definitely a lens with a learning curve.  I never use the Noctilux wide open when focused closer than 2m. I also chose points of focus near centrum of the image so I don't have to rotate the camera too much, thereby ensuring that the subject remains in focus.  At f1.4 and smaller apertures the lens is much less demanding.

- -- Arne

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?)