Subject: Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:26:52 -0400

Jim:

A lot of people get a Noctilux with unrealistic expectations.  There are
always trade offs.  In the case of the Noctilux, it can be very limited
depth of field at closer distances.  It also vignettes at f1.  It is
however, the best f1 lens in the world.

In your case, if the people are more than a few meters away, the depth of
field should be fine at f1.  If you are expecting tight head and shoulder
shots, expect a lot to be out of focus.  At the close working distance, the
Noctilux probably has less than an inch of depth of field.  It is so
shallow that you can have the iris of the eye in focus, but the eyebrow and
a lot of the rest of the face will be out of focus.  Arne Helme's PAW from
last week shows the distances at which the Noctilux shines, particularly
the main image.

http://helme.stelvio.nl/paw2002/paw01.html

My own page has a few of the closer Noctilux images.  The Cigar shot shows
the limited depth of field.  The Baby shot shows how the lens really shines
at f1 and a little further away than the close focus limit.  The Paris shot
shows how with a f1 lens, you can shoot 200 speed slide film even at night.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Noctilux.htm

Regards,

Robert