Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the 50 Summilux-M the poor cousin?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:11:28 +0100

Ray,

> To me, the 50 Summilux provides the ideal compromise of speed, size,
> weight and cost. My only other lenses are a 3E and a 90 Elmarit-M, so I
> thought that the 'lux would be a useful addition for use in low
> available light. I've found this to be true and have been very pleased
> with the results. So why is it that the 50 Summilux seems to be the
> poor cousin of other lenses in the M stable?

Why Leica has not updated the Summilux I do not know, but presumably they
feel that any improvement would be marginal relative to the price that they
would need to charge. Having owned in the past the 50mm Summicron, the 50mm
Voigtlander/Cosina Nokton and the Noctilux (not all at the same time), I
too have settled on the Summilux as my only 50mm lens, and I am very happy
with the results.

Why there is not much discussion of the lens? Well, it is an old design,
there are more interesting lenses to talk about, either because they are
truly special (Noctilux) or because they are new (e.g. the 28mm Summicron).
I do not have much to say about the Summilux myself, except that I like it.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland