Subject: [Leica] Tales from the "O"
From: jeff williams <jeffwill@free.fr>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:56:26 +0100

Brian's comments about his "O" made me smile. Hey I should have thought of
whte gloves!
I spent the first month carrying mine around in an old T shirt least I
marked the leather! And now it is out of the leather case and just sitting
in my jacket pocket. It is easier to use and smaller to carry that way.
Eventually I got tired of under exposed and over exposed negs so now I
religiously meter ever shot and I am almost at the level of negative
density consistency that I get from the M6. Almost I said...
I am thinking about joining the PAW. Mainly because I would like to
contribute something to the LUG each week rather than suck ideas and give
nothing in return. And I thought it would be nice to do the PAW with the
O-series. Now that's going to be a learning experience!! So this weekend I
have been reading up on how to build a website instead of just posting
thigs up to Yahoo Pictures. Maybe I could start with Yahoo pictures?
Website construction looks trickier than it sounds.
And I have a rendezvous this week with a photoshop person in Marseille who
is going to outline the benefits on a Nikon LS-4000 vs Canon FS2710 and
Canon FS4000US, hopefully all in simple french, rather the the usual
incomprehensible Marseille accent I hear down here....
How many LUG members own and use an O series? I think I have seen about
four posts from O series users but there may be more. I would like to see
some more O series photos posted.
And Brian is right about the O series teaching you to think. I tend to
think about just the composition when using a minlux, composition and
technique when using an M6, but when using the O series I mentally go
through lots of steps to make sure I get the technique right and then think
about content. I wonder if they did it that way in 1923 or maybe I have
just grown old and lazy through auto focus autoeverything usage. At least
the O series is re-awakening the photographic side of my brain!
Regards
Jeff "le kiwi"
from Marseille  (who is just discovering that "social plan" in France has
nothing to do with your engagement calendar)

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> ([Leica] web site)