Subject: Re: [Leica] poor lens engagement
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 05:34:39 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:43:08 -0800 Henning Wulff
<henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:
> At 10:31 PM +0000 12/30/01, lmdmd@att.net wrote:
> >Every once in a while, my right hand accidently
> >depresses the lens locking button on the M6 body ever
.> >Leland Deane

> Not having seen your right hand, I'd hate to venture a guess. ;-)
>
> Actually, some of the previous models such as the M4 did not have a
> button guard, and occasionally I would hit the button. I never lost a

> In all seriousness, I would guess that you experience that problem
> because of the way you hold the camera.

 Henning J. Wulff

Leland, Henning has hit on some valid points here....I've used Leica M
now since I was 19 (I'm 43) and have never had the problem that I recall (though
I have worried about doing it and trashing a lens, it's never happened)

After using a camera a lot, which I had already done in the first six months
or so, you get a "hold" that stays with you...and that "hold" is adjusted,
I guess subconsciously, to not involve putting your fingers over the RF windows
or on the lens release...you don't have to think about it...it just develops
naturally...I can now use Ms all day without any fingerprints on the RF or VF...
but if I let a non-M user look at my camera, they'll get fingers all over them!!
They also have trouble finding a "focus" position that doesn't obstruct the view.
Using the cameras a lot re-programs us to not do these things...you don't even
think about it...

I assume you're new to M photography...if so, keep on going and you'll develop
"finger" positions that are effective.  I like the 'guard' on the M3 and M6,
but have used cameras without them for 24 years with no problems.  I had to
go and look at my M4P to see if it had one!!! (it doesn't, BTW)

Walt