Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: #190 A Flat Panel iMac
From: Pete Su <psu_13@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 06:38:24 -0800 (PST)

- --- Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> wrote:
> Strange, my Mac TiBook has adjustable resolution and it has a flat panel
> display. Image quality looks great at all resolutions.  Come to think of
> it, my Sony Vaio does too.  What kind of flat panel are you referring to?

I just tried this on my tibook.

At 800x600, you can tell that the display is "doubling" all the pixels. All the
dots are fat and fuzzy.

At 1024x768, there are 2 modes, stretched and not stretched. The not stretched
looks OK, but you have 2 big blocks of black on the left and the right.
Thestretched looks like the 800x600 mode, with the fat fuzzy pixels.

The native resolution is 1152x768, and looks nice and sharp.

The point is that the panel has fixed sized pixels, and works best at one
resolution. Lower resolutions are obtained by either cropping the panel or
"scaling" the pixels, which doesn't really work out.

Pete