Subject: [Leica] Nathan's final PAW of 2001
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:28:41 +0100

First of all, Happy New Year to all my friends on the LUG.

For the final week's PAW, I have chosen three images which all have to
do with looking through windows and with trains, although in quite
different ways. The main image is my father, currently visiting me for
the holidays, looking at the window of a shop selling model trains. He
has had a tough year, will be 78 in February and aside from me and my
children there is not much joy in his life following my mother's death
in April. That is why I jumped at a chance to photograph him when he was
admiring the intricate model trains and expressing almost boylike
wonder:

http://www.wajsman.com/52.jpg

The two alternates are both from a train ride from Zurich to Geneva I
had to take last Thursday. It takes about 3 hours, the first two are
quite boring. But once the train gets past Fribourg, the rest of the
trip is quite interesting because of the breathtaking landscapes, so
most passengers put down their books and newspapers and look out, like
these two ladies:

http://www.wajsman.com/52alt1.jpg

and the kind of sights they see are:

http://www.wajsman.com/52alt2.jpg

All three shots on Delta 400 developed in XTOL 1+3, the main pic with
the 35mm Summilux and the two alternates with the 24mm Elmarit. This is
the first time I have developed D400 in XTOL 1+3 instead of XTOL 1+1 or
Ilfotec DDX 1+4, and the higher dilution definitely gives an advantage
in this case. Even though the contrast range on this roll was quite high
(many snow scenes), there are no blown-out highlights as I have become
accustomed to with the reformulated D400. XTOL 1+3 is now my standard
for everything except D3200 (have not tried that one diluted beyond 1+1
yet).

The complete PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw.htm

and comments and critique are welcome and appreciated as always.

To be continued in 2002...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman