Subject: [Leica] the solution to the mac/pc gamma thingie is PNG....
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 10:14:53 -0800

this has little leica content, but some LUG content so i'll toss in my .02.

as has been pointed out, macs and pc's have different gamma (or brightness)
making .jpegs created on one not show up properly on another and leading
some people to post two versions of an image so that it will look right for
everyone.... another answer to this problem is to use the Portable Network
Graphic or PNG image file format. most major browsers support it and most
graphics programs as well. there are a bunch of reasons that PNG is a good
idea, i've outlined a bunch of them in an article i have on
www.informit.com, if you're interested. just search for "PNG: The Portable
Network Graphic" or email me off list and i'll send you a copy.

maybe i'll use .png's for my PAW next year...

kc