Subject: Re: [Leica] Not really OT: Push & pull of neg film
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:34:19 -0600

on 12/27/01 9:57 AM, Jeffery Smith at jsmith45@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I didn't change the image in any way other than to scan it. The lighting in
> the church was very diffuse. The web image is softer than the actual image
> because of the JPEG conversion and compression. When I have shot this stuff
> at 400, I get very sharp detail but the faces are often unflattering. I'm
> going to try about 20 rolls at 200 and 320. E.I. 200 indoors is problematic
> unless you have a 50/1.2 at 1.2.

The light is great. Perfect for the shot. I'd probably just use a little
unsharp mask (50-70%) on it to bring back the sharpness. It still looks good
for being a stop over the lace on the woman is nice. I'm too accustomed to
slide film right now and think that the neg film I use needs to be more
punchy, I'll need to work on that frame of mind. I miss the smooth qualities
of the negative...

Against my better judgement here's a link to some Christmas snaps that was
meant for family eye's only ;) and as I mentioned in another post my plane
of focus is off on a few shots. I'll need to work on that when off centering
the subject at close range. Film was T400CN Portra. The contrast may still
seem high (too much black?) but it more mellow than the prints I got back!
They had some jacked up contrast! I will say I like working with negs
(scanning) better than slides. The latitude of the film makes it easier for
me to get a decent scan. Far less blown out highlights when getting the
shadows to show up.

http://SlideOne.com/christmas.html

- --
John