Subject: Re: [Leica] SonC's PAW 51
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:39:08 +0100

Hi Sonny,

> To those who have expressed ambivalence about continuing their P.A.W.  I
> hope  you reconsider. You  cannot realize what an inspiration you've been to
> me this year.  Please stay with it.  I know it's hard.  It is hard for me.
> But your work keeps me moving. I am eager to see your work.  Please
> continue.

I am certainly going to continue in 2002 and beyond. As I have said several
times before, the PAW exercise has been a wonderful spur to my photography (and
a great help in selecting the images to submit to FOM2!).

> The first, is my Picture A Week.  It is of the lovely  newest member of our
> family.
>
> http://www.sonc.com/paw/Carey.htm

Nice indeed.

> Eric, my youngest son has been seen on these pages as an athlete, and other
> roles.  This is a different view of him. Well, maybe not.
> http://www.sonc.com/crucifer.htm

Actually, I like this portrait better than your main pic. It really captures the
situation, and your son's mix of excitement and aprehension.

> I promised more of this, and I came through.
> http://www.sonc.com/Nat_with_lights.htm

This is the best of your night pictures so far. But the dark parts of the images
have grainy artifacts, such as I get when I brighten an image too much in
Photoshop or at the scanning stage. You should use the Levels slider to move the
black point so that the black of night is black again.

> Finally, here's a shot I have been promising for a while.  It is part of the
> other side of the lights from last weeks' panorama.
>
> http://www.sonc.com/Manger.htm

This one is nice and does not suffer from the artifacts mentioned above. I like
that there is the road with cars in the background, gives a sense of place and
scale. A person somewhere in the picture would have been even better.

> With warmest regards this Holiday,

...and same to you!

Nathan

- --