Subject: Re: [Leica] re: frugal plug
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:46:49 -0800

Unfortunately, getting the best film is as relevant as what it is
inside. That exhibit I was talking about in another post is a strong
case in point. At the time that those images were taken in 1983, I was
buying Freestyle generic 120, ASA 125 film, which went into a Rollei
SL66 (I still have it). The film cost .89 cents a roll or so, which
meant I bought a lot of it. Those seascapes at the Susan Shaumberg
Gallery are blown up as big as it gets at 8x8. The film, past that size,
changes its characteristic. For whatever reason, it prints flatter with
a marked reduction in resolution. I changed papers, enlarging lenses,
and tried different light sources, all to no avail.
Now I buy the best film possible. The only regrets I may get now come
from my mistakes and not the materials.

  Slobodan Dimitrov