Subject: Re: [Leica] It's official - the Tri-Elmar rules!
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:21:14 EST

In a message dated 12/21/01 10:28:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbcollier@powersurfr.com writes:

> > From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
>  >
>  > I am subscribed to Erwin Puts' newletter site and I quote the following
>  > from his latest newsletter, with due respect to Erwin:
>  >
>  > "... About the lenses I can be short: the TriElmar at the 50 position
>  > is better than the Summicron 2/50 at aperture 4. It may be a surprise,
>  > but the Summicron is not the nec plus ultra some people assume it to
>  > be. (Let us forget about the famous Summicron DR controversy). The
>  > Tri-Elmar is better. Period. In my view the overall best lenses for the
>  > M are the 24, 28 Summicron, TriElmar, 90 Asph and apo 135..."

Hello, I too found this strange. In my sparring with Erwin about the various
50/2 Summicrons, he has consistently taken the position that the current
optical formula 50/2 Summicron is indeed the nec plus ultra. This is very
disconcerting.

It was even more surprising for me to read that the Tri-Elmar at the 50mm
position is better than the Summicron at f/4. Here is what Erwin says at his
website about the 50/2 Summicron (taken verbatim):

<At full aperture a high contrast image is rendered with very crisp rendition
of <extremely fine details from center to the very corners. Astigmatism is
gone except <in the far zones. Exceedingly fine detail is now visible with
good micro contrast. At <f/2,8 this lens has perfect qualities. From f/8,0
spherical aberration very slightly
<softens the center and from f/8.0 micro contrast drops a little. Flare is
very well <suppressed and all other aberrations can be neglected.

Note that Erwin states that at f/2,8 the 50/2 Summicron HAS PERFECT
QUALITIES. We know that the optical quality of the 50/2 Summicron improves at
f/4 and f/5,6. It is not easy to understand how the Tri-Elmar at f/4 and 50mm
can be better than perfect? And Erwin makes no reference to the Tri-Elmar's
performance at other apertures and at its 28mm and 35mm. focal lengths,
contenting himself with the assertion that <the Tri-Elmar is better. Period.>

Full, fair and objective scientific analysis?

Happy holidays, all.

Seth     LaK 9