Subject: [Leica] Re: tragedy upon tragedy
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:17:32 -0600

>Thousands of negatives featuring John F Kennedy are feared missing after
>it was revealed that the late US President's personal photographer had
>placed them in a bank vault at the World Trade Center for safe keeping.

My first reaction is...  so?  What's the big deal?  Anytime we're dealing
with the loss of human life, material possessions just don't matter.

People lose valuable negatives all the time when they're in shoe boxes and
their basement floods.  It's pretty similar.  Don't put all your eggs in one
metaphorical basket.  If you have thousands of irreplaceable negatives,
maybe the responsible thing would be to make dupes and store them at
multiple off site locations.  The same guidelines that apply to data
protection and disaster recovery apply here, too.

Eric