Subject: Vs: Vs: Vs: [Leica] shade
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:42:27 +0100

Seth,
why do you want to drag Erwin into this? He´s not here to defend himself and somehow I get the idea that you are not going to defend him, either.
That newer lenses are better than older seems to be the official position of Leitz and Leica. I have had the DR Summicron and also it´s rigid brother and now have the version before the current one - all fine lenses - and I have no reason to doubt that position. You have - obviously - but you display pictures of exteriors of lenses to prove your point.
Yes, I know that the late, lamented Modern Photography once wrote (in response to a question) that the DR Summicron is the best lens they tested, ever - but it was more than 20 years ago so if they tested the current version, would the conclusion still be the same? Nobody knows.
All the best!
Raimo
Personal photography homepage at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen