Subject: [Leica] Users, Collectors, and Gearheads
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:15:14 +0000

At 04:19 PM 12/16/01 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Isn't the LHSA for Leicaphiles while the LUG is for Leica USERS? ;-)

To be fair, there is really more at play here than such a simplistic
dichotomy.

There are users who are interested primarily in the product -- such folks
trade pictures and critique each others' photography.
There are users who are interested primarily in the equipment -- such folks
get excited over changeovers in production dates and the like.
There are straight collectors who allow stuff to accumulate on their shelves.
There are historical researchers who are interested in the interplay of
economics, corporate strategies, politics, marketing ploys, and engineering
as well as in the usages for the gear or its technical specifications.

Und so weiter.  All of us are a bit of all of the above but, in the end, we
all specialize a bit.

Now, when I was one-and-twenty, a much wiser man warned me of the perils of
wine, women, and song.  As I've gotten older, I've found myself lacking a
bit of the bounce I use to have, so I've just specialized in the "wine" end
of things ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!