Subject: Re: [Leica] bokeh, Nocti and otherwise [was: NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm]
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 09:21:35 -0800

>The focus is a tiny bit off on the top one. The old Prominent is a bear
>to focus. Stephen Gandy well describes this camera as clumsy at best.
>Although bigger than an LTM finder, the viewfinder/rangefinder isn't
>very distinct and you focus awkwardly with a knob where you would expect
>to find the rewind crank. I'm pretty impressed that Dad did so well.
>
>Slightly better than a Summarit? Interesting. Especially since its a
>stop faster!
>
>Simon

Actually, they're both 1.5 lenses; you must be thinking of the Summitar.

I wonder how many other permutations Wetzlar might have come up with for
other lenses? Here's a few they didn't choose:

Summirat - too rodent-like
Summiart - better not talk about art
Summrita - your wife may not like it
Summtira - ?
Summtiar - almost like precious jewelry
Summtair - '50s Americana
Summrait - another?
Summriat - after that city in Saudi Arabia
Summtari - sounds Japanese
Summrati - sounds Indian

Guy