Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Briefcase (Point and Shoot)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:41:08 -0800

B. D. Wrote:
>>> But Andrew, no matter what one paid...I T  I S  S T I L L  O N L Y  A
> C A M E R A!  And if it is too expensive to be used comfortably as a
> camera, than it is not worth the price paid for it, as one is not able
> to benefit from owning the particular camera.<<<

Hi B. D.
I may sound like I knock my gear around like it's nothing, but that isn't
the case all.  Yep they get bumped and banged and when you're running and
the M6's hanging off your neck are clunking against each other you do try to
hold them tight as not to become "too banged".

But your right, they are still cameras and they cost me in my Cdn dollar
value, a ton of money like anyone in their currency.  I choke and cough when
I ask the price of a new lens or body as in anyone else does in their
language and currency.

And even though I'm a working professional it still cost a me a pile of
dollars. A line I hear all to often, "Hey it doesn't cost you anything,
you're a pro and can write it off in taxes!"  I want to scream, "Idiot,
where the hell do you think I get the money from, off picture trees?"

Professional or not, someone still must earn the money to pay for it and
that seems to mystify some amateurs. In our case as pros we should be far
more paranoid than the amateur about "dinging." Simply because it's our
livelihood that depends on the cameras working when we need them to produce
the income.

Meanwhile we look after them to the best of our ability, but we don't cringe
at every little knick, knack or knock.  That is unless you drop a major
costing lens to it's death! :-)  Then we are insufferable crying whimps! :-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Briefcase (Point and Shoot))