Subject: [Leica] NOCTILUX vs. Canon 50 f1 data
From: Mr logan reinwood <reinwood007@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:45:17 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Following the recent discussions about nocilux vs. other king of
low-light lenses I looked at my old Chasseur d'Image magazine and here
are the data, for those who are interested:

Noctilux (border/center); Canon (border/center)
f1  : 1.5/1.75; 1/2
f1.4: 2/2; 1/3
f2  : 2.25/2.25; 1/4
f2.8: 3/2.75; 2/5
f4  : 3.75/3.25; 3/5
f5.6: 4/4; 3/5
1= WEAK 2=MIDDLE 3=GOOD 4=VERY GOOD 5= EXCELLENT

VIGNETTING AT F1: NOCT = 1.5 DIAPH, CANON = 1.2 DIAPH
DISTORTION : BARIL NOCT 1.1%, CANON 0.7%
(FYI, the summmicron 50 is rated ven more than 5, except at f2)

THE NOCT HAS BEEN TESTED IN 2000, WHEREAS THE CANON IN 1990.
I suspect that in 1990 they did not give "in between rates such as 2.5"

logan