Subject: Re: [Leica] need adapter ring
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:56:29 -0700

Before we go any further, what camera are you mounting the 28 on? Only
cameras with the six frameline mask set will have a 28mm frame. So M4-P and
on up not including the 0.85x. So if you have an older camera (unless it has
been modified, easy and inexpensive to do) or an 0.85x, you will not have
28mm framelines. There are only three positions of the frameline mechanism.
Neutral position is 35/135, next 50/75 and finally 28/90. A 90 adapter is
what you use to bring up 28 framelines in later cameras. It will not be
marked 28 because there were no 28 framelines back then. On the M3, the 50
framelines are always visible with the other ones appearing as the
appropriate lens is attached. On the M3, the least cluttered finder is when
the 50 framelines are selected. So many older adapters are marked 28 and 50
because that is the best one to use for adapting wide angle lenses to the
M3. If you use an adapter marked 28 and 50 on a more modern camera, you get
the 50/75 framelines not the 28.

SO GET AN ADAPTER MARKED 90! UNLESS YOU HAVE AN OLD CAMERA OR A 0.85x, IN
WHICH CASE GET AN AUXILARY VIEWFINDER OR HAVE THE SIX FINDER MASK SET PUT
INTO YOUR OLDER CAMERA!

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] need adapter ring)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] need adapter ring)