Subject: [Leica] re: hcb and faceless
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:48:24 -0800

sal took me to task:

>Luggers,
>    Unfortunately, I must disagree with Kyle.....
>    I have seen signed Henri Cartier-Bresson prints. The Leica Gallery in
>New York City even has a few for sale.

though not quite for the right reasons -- i never said no signed HCB prints
existed,
only that he refused to sign early ones and that he didn't consider his work
fine-art.

my source on that is american photo sept/oct 1997, page 84, article by peter
halpert entitled "collecting: i want my hcb":

"cartier-bresson has always considered himself a photojournalist, not a
fine-art
photographer, and he has refused to limit the number of prints he makes of
any particular image"

"Magnum asked the esteemed photographer to consider approving and signing
his
early photos from their files. he steadfastly refused, saying they were made
for
reproduction and not exhibition -- which leaves collectors searching [for
early
signed work]."

kc

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> ([Leica] Re: hcb and faceless)