Subject: [Leica] Re: Leicaflex SL lenses
From: "Richard Setchim" <rvys@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:21:20 +0000

<<Joe Kelly asked for help choosing lenses for his recently acquired SL>>

Joe,

From a contented Leicaflex SL user, please try the 90mm Summicron - the
balance of the lens on the SL body is perfect and the wider viewing aperture
with the SL screen is a joy to see through. Keep looking until you find one
with a real smooth focusing action and you won't stop taking pictures.

For wide angle the older 28mm Elmarits are a bargain but I find focusing is
less assured with the SL screen and tend to use that focal length on an R3
which it suits perfectly. So please try before you buy.

I have had no problems viewing the 35mm Elmarit through the SL screen but
35mm is perhaps too close to the 50mm you have already and you will likely
have this focal length on your M lenses.

Before you buy a macro may I suggest you try the Summicron stopped down to
f8 with a close up lens. (If your Summicron has the series VI filter mount
they can be bought for little). The results are very good. Alternatively try
your M lenses for macro work with a M to R adaptor.

Hope you enjoy this most excellent apparatus.

Regards,
Richard Setchim