Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: HCB and "Faceless"
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:10:02 -0500

I don't know anything about the print issue, but I am going to jump in
with both feet on Kyle's side on the matter of the David Douglas Duncan
book. With all due respect to Sal, the book is a real embarrassment to
all concerned - or should be. It's really much more embarrassing to
someone like DDD, who has a well deserved reputation as one of the
'greats,' a reputation that can only be damaged by this book, a
collection of not very good snapshots - and I use the term advisedly,
than it is embarrassing to HCB.

Looking at the book, having read about the dispute over its publication,
and not having seen anything of DDD's in quite some time, I can only
assume he did it strictly for the money. The problem with that is a
whole generation of younger photographers and photo enthusiasts, not
familiar with his earlier work, will look at it and think he was some
tourist who happened on HCB.

I don't agree for a nano-second with HCB's attempts to suppress the book
because I don't want to see anyone suppress any publication, but having
seen the photos, I can certainly understand why anyone would not want
them published.

B. D.