Subject: Re: [Leica] First Web Site
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:33:03 -0800

Jim Hemenway wrote:

> Nice shots Charles, I especially like the travel pictures.
>
> Jim
>
> "Charles W. Hehl" wrote:
> >
> > I finally got around to putting together a web site.  All except for a few
> > images were taken this year with leica M gear.  Comments welcome.
> >
> > http://www.chi-photography.com/
> >
> > Charles Hehl

Charles  I'm going to be a little bit brave and be critical because this is what i feel.
It's awkward to criticize the efforts of someone who is exposing his personal work to
the public.
It seems more obvious to give the guy a break and just applaud him for actually doing
work and following through.
My opinion is nice shots for what i can see of them at 300x400 pixals. A very few
300x500 when clicked
Smaller images than most photo orientated websites by somewhat.
Some big time photographers are fearful of having their images ripped off and have
them that small or in a Flash show. I find that a shame. You seem more modest than
that and i hope less fearfull.
These images could have been done with a point and shoot or a small digital camera
we'd have no way of knowing.
Please be more generous with some of your scans see we can see them from a
photographic standpoint. (Leica glow!)
Not just to show off pixal wallets of our family and friends. (my opinon sorry i'm
sounding tough nosed)

Yes the people are recognizable. But this is a much more serious thing that a family
photo website.
You're doing fine photography here with primo gear I'd assume as you're on the LUG
and what appears to proficient technique.
But we really don't know.
"Look at the smiley person!" is all we really can get.
"Do i know this person?"
No i don't know this person.
To click and see them get only slightly bigger gets frustrating fast for me at least.
And I'd assume others too but who knows?

OK so don't fill half our screens fill a third! Or a forth!
Your work deserves to be really seen better. That's how I see it!
Be Generous! Pay AT&T more money! They need it they're starving! They need to get
those electrons surging through their fiber optic veins! Big Business fights for you!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com
(My scans are far far bigger than what a surfers normally expects to see. That's just
my thing"

Message from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] First Web Site)