Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Oaxaca Mexico Photos
From: Joshua Orkin <josh@i-float.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 16:39:44 -0800

Bill,

I usually lurk, but your post brought up some good memories.  I spent a February week in Oaxaca about six years ago, and  as I recall you'll be ovewhelmed with photo-ops
anywhere you travel in town or in the surrounding countyside.  The buildings are a color riot and the early morning / late evening light is often richly pastel.  My four most
outstanding memories are: the town center or Zocalo, the Rufino Tamayo Museo de Arte Prehispanico de Mexico, and the ruins at Monte  Alban and Mitla.   The Zocalo is
a very human scale pedestrian district of mostly colonial 17th and 18th cen. architecture, we breakfasted and people watched most every morning in one of the sidewalk
cafes.  The Rufino, we went twice during our stay, is a stunning collection of early american art selected as much for its aesthetic interest as its historical signifcance.  I
won't try to describe the archeolgical ruins in the area, there are too many good books for that, but if you go, I suggest hiring one of the free agent guides that greets your
bus. They work for tips, and we found the education they provided was well worth the fee.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Josh Orkin