Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Piezo Plunge
From: <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 14:36:07 -0800

Tina Manley writes:
 > At 02:14 PM 12/1/01 -0500, Colin wrote:
 >
 > >Any input on why I'm getting that sepia thing?  I would really prefer
 > >neutral or "cold" prints.  Thanks!
 > >[...]
 >
 > Different people see the same inks as different colors.  Jerry Olson on the
 > Piezo list complained for months about the sepia toned inks, but he prints
 > most of his work in a very cold, almost blue tone.  He has gone with MIS
 > inks for their cold tone but has to work up his own profiles for each
 > paper. [...]

I think that Jerry's using MIS's Variable Tone inkset, developed by
Paul Roark.  It uses three neutral shades of gray and one blue-ish
one.  By varying the amount of blue ink, one can control the tone of
the print.

Paul has developed a set of curves for this inkset and a wide variety
of papers and is happy to talk about and share them.

Since you're printing through the Epson driver, you're not going to
get the advantage that the Piezography driver gives on the bigger drop
printers (e.g. the 3000), and it's not nearly as
what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

The inkset has the additional advantage of being *considerably* less
expensive than the Piezography inks.

You can get more info at:

  http://home1.gte.net/res0a2zt/photos.html

g.