Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and off-camera strobe
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:19:00 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> All this flash stuff on M camera's is quite amazing, when you're talking
> about the finest available light camera/lenses around. Hell if you can see
> it..you can shoot it!

I guess if you don't care about balancing out harsh shadow on faces in direct
sunlight, or are always using low contrast / wide latitude print film, or like
blown out highlights, this works. I use chrome a lot and fill flash for out door
portraits becomes a necessity if I want to keep the eyes and background
balanced. And sometimes, there just isn't enough light for the shot I want, and
a flash makes a shot possible.

> Besides why knock yourself out banging an M camera around with a flash when
> it's much easier to pick-up a point and shootie camera and do it all as a no
> brainer flash exercise! ;-)

Most P&S cameras don't give much control, over the exposure or the flash
balance. Even my beloved Minilux has little control over the flash output (a
nice flash exposure compensation switch would be a great improvement). That
said, a good P&S will do in many cases, but an M6 (TTL or otherwise) is not hard
to use a flash on, it is really really easy (even I can do it). Focusing at f1,
now that's hard.

> Remember guys... keep it simple, save the Leica for real picture taking. ;-)

Flash pictures are not real? Gee, I guess we better enlighten all of those
magazine photogs about how to take pictures :)  Come on, flash photography is
real - let's not get too snobish about our 'available light' bias.

- - marc

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica and off-camera strobe)
Message from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] Leica and off-camera strobe)
Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica and off-camera strobe)