Subject: [Leica] Cindy Sherman
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:48:03 -0700

Sorry that I have been too busy to contribute much to the thread on CS
(other than a light-hearted spoof) but here are a series of links to
photographs by and articles on Cindy (the first site is painfully slow). I
still remember the first time I saw Cindy's work in a late seventies copy of
American Photography. I was very impressed at the time and am very glad she
has done so well. I do not care for all of her work (not unusual as I simply
loath my own) but as a whole it is an amazing personal statement. It shows a
coherence of thought very unusual in contemporary photography. The fact that
you might not appreciate a Cindy's work does not mean that it is not good.
Her work has resonated with many as our society under goes a complete change
in attitude towards women. What more could an artist want than to
communicate so effectively with their audience?. Perhaps the fact that this
list is mostly made up of extremely stubborn men (old farts is the how we
commonly describe each other) may explain some of the tirades against her
:-).

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/sherman/sherman_articles3.html

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/sherman/
http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/sherman/selectedworks.html