Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:03:29 -0500

> Guy,

I have to differ with you.  The Baby Boom generation that has occupied most of the professoriate is now on the verge of retirement, and since the education cutbacks of the 80s and early 90s
stopped most faculty renewal in a period when the size of most university faculty bodies actually grew smaller, there is going to be a large faculty shortage.  The shortage of graduate students,
according to most studies that have been done, is largely due to the dramatically increased costs of attending graduate school, plus the fact that PhDs salaries in the university sector have not
kept pace with those offered by the private sector, where PhDs are in far greater demand than ever before.  This applies not only to areas like engineering and computer science, but even to PhDs
in the humanities.  I have no idea where the professoriate of the future is coming from, but if there aren't changes to the system that currently exists, I worry about the future of higher
education in North America.

Mark

Replies: Reply from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school OT Opinion)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> ([Leica] MIA Lugger)