Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:11:34 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

 never seen anyone with less than a PhD given a teaching appointment in that
> field. Even in community colleges, a full-time teacher in the humanities
> with only a MA is becoming something of an anachronism.
>
> Guy

I work at the University of North Texas -- School of Visual Arts.  I'm a full
time "lab supervisor" (staffer) and an Adjunct Instructor.  I have NO graduate
degree.  I have a BA in Journalism and a BS in Commercial Photography (ETSU-Texas
A&M-Commerce)--and LOTS of experience BEFORE and AFTER attending college.

I have the absolute respect of the full-time faculty in and around
my department, and am treated as an equal in all respects--
- -the "university",
however, including the retirement/benefits system, discriminates against my "staff"
status.  I am NOT elegible for matching funds retirement of my choice, and if
I were to quit my job (never!) I'd lose tens of thousands of
dollars-- a full
time faculty member would NOT lose...clearly "classism" in an institution that
spews endless "diversity and equality" bullshit...

Also, my "equality" with my "peers" (NOT) only extends to my local department...
the administration of the school, and the university proper, CLEARLY divides
"full time" from all others...in fact, there is an older administrator who is
often annoyed by the "equality" I enjoy in my department.

Outside of "school", I stand on my own work and opinions, and (as many of you have
stated) have NEVER been asked about my "degree" or "position"...it just doesn't
matter.

I am, however, pleased that those "close" to me, with advanced degrees,
treat me as their equal on and off the job.  They're the only ones that
matter anyway.

Walt