Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:06:49 -0800

>Mark's most recent post has a major valid point.  No one asks you to see the
>credentials.  I worked for four network affiliate television stations, two ad
>agencies, freelanced for CBS, NBC and CNN, was published in four books,
>illustrated a
>number of magazine articles, well  (yada yada. . . ) anyhow, NOT ONE of
>the people in
>charge ever asked  about my degrees.  Not one ever asked if my school was
>accredited.
>Then I applied for a job at Northwestern State University.  They required
>a copy of
>my transcript.  (I'm a graduate of Northwestern State University.)
>Go figure.
>Sonny

You don't have to go too far to figure this one out. The academic world is
a world unto itself, and is governed by its own rules and regulations. A
degree from an accredited academic insitution gives credence to those
seeking to live and work (especially if that means teaching) in that world;
it means you have been brought up in the academy and have accomplished
something recognized by the academy: usually a thesis, which implies
research, possible publications, participation in symposia, etc., all
academy approved and required activities. Though much of this activity is
without significance in the "real world," real world values are meaningless
in the academy: it is a self-validating system that generally does not
recognize non-academic achievement.

I spent 17 years in college, studying everything from art and music to
languages and literature, ultimately getting a PhD. In the "real world"
that degree is close to worthless. However, if you wish to teach at the
university level, it is indispensable. It is also helpful in a variety of
other related, though strictly speaking non-academic, professional
contexts, photography not necessarily being one of them.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)