Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:08:48 -0800

It all depends on your area of speciality. The staff and curriculum of a
school will always have a particular bias. A little research would help
in determining which are best suited for you.
Take USC's Visual Anthropology Dept., it was started by a LIFE
photographer (can't remember the name st the moment). While you would be
on your own, technically wise, you would have an incredible resource on
the other end. That dept., by the way, has yet to a have a real
photographer run through it since it's founding. Just think what you
could do, coupled with a cross disciplinary sprinkling from the
Annenberg School of Communication from the south end of the campus, or
whatever dept. you might meld into your program.
While on the other hand, a shake and bake school, like those run by the
boys in Maine and Florida, would mold you into a contemporary "fine-art"
workhorse. You'd be able to use, in a scalpel like manner, anything from
an Olga to a Linhof- Mac hybrid,  with nary a care for the content.
Their programs are molded more for the gallery market and the bored
mid-life members of our society. Most of that faculty comes out of other
disciplines anyway, at least the original ones. The new ones seem to be
their own graduates, who have the prerequisite exhibition and teaching
credentials. Food for thought.

  Slobodan Dimitrov