Subject: Re: [Leica] philadelphia heathrow cairo airport security
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:10:59 +0100

The 3-hour rule is a bit over the top, but it does vary by airport how necessary
it is. I took my father to Stuttgart airport for a flight to Atlanta last week,
and the security was extremely tight--they had basically moved all Delta
check-in to a separat small building annex next to the main terminal, and only
passengers were able to enter the building. This meant, however, that it was OK
to show up 1 1/2 hour prior to departure (despite the 3 hours advertised by
Delta) because the number of passengers in the check-in area was small. On the
other hand, yesterday my French uncle flew from Paris to Atlanta, and because of
the general mess at Charles de Gaulle airport coupled with the increased
security it took him more than 1 hour just to get through security (4 planeloads
of people bound for the U.S. going through at more or less the same time and
only one hand luggage scanner in operation). So the 15 minutes quoted by Kyle
may apply in some places but not others.

Nathan