Subject: Re: [Leica] STRAP SURVEY (prev Saturday "Pro Photo" Shopping)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:05:48 -0500

I can't believe that this is a thread, and that it's such a
lonnnnnngggggg thread...however...

About a week back I was in NYC and sitting - on a low window sill - in
front of The Greek Kitchen at the corner of 58th and 10th Ave. waiting
for an old friend with whom I was to have dinner. I was fiddling around
with my M6, and a nicely dressed gent, whom I would guess was about 10
years my senior, walked up to me, asked which model I was holding, and
said, "have you seen a Canon VT?" and thrust his camera into my
hand!:-)...A Canon VT in gorgeous shape, mounting an old collapsible
Elmar...anyway...we got chatting, and he told me he had been a salesguy
at Peerless in the 60's! (I wonder if I bought my first IIIc from him).
I know, I know, what does this have to do with straps?....Well....he had
a really neat strap on his Canon...black leather, a buckle on each side
for adjustment, padded non-slip shoulder pad...a very retro looking
strap...certainly not great quality leather, but what the
heck....anyway, he said he had bought it at Oldens, at 32nd and
Broadway...that they currently sell them, for less than $20, and he
seems to think it has a pretty common brand name on it, like Vivitar
maybe. Anyway, I haven't had a chanc to get there yet, but this
particular strap is calling out to me as it is as close as I've seen to
the straps I used in the 60s....

So much for straps....Why is it that a discussion about straps seems
about as rediculous as a discussion about underpants? Perhaps because
each protects delicate equipment,each is a utilitarian item we take for
granted, and neither is really worth more than a moment's
discussion....;-)

B. D.