Subject: Re: [Leica] Sebastiao Salgado exhibition
From: Mark Rabiner <rabiner2@home.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:29:59 -0800

Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

> The print format for exhibition is normally totally the perogative of the photographer. I normally show 12" x 8" matted to 20" x 16" at exhibitions although I have occasionally shown 15" x 10" matted to 24" x 20". A lot depends on the venue where quite often prints too large cannot be viewed at a good distance. I have seen prints as small as 5" x 4" or smaller shown (I recently bought an exquisite 2.4" x 1.75" print) and as large as 6ft x 3ft at a Helmut Newton show. As for easels, 20" x 16" is about right.
>
> Gerry
> www.gwpics.com

We need to notice that when we overmat our prints it's not the paper size which
is the issue its the image size.
The "paper" size becomes the mat size. And that can be a non standard size
although the size glass comes in can work out better.

Whole Plate  165mmx 216mm    6.5x 8.5"
Half Plate   114 x140mm      4.5 x 5.5"
Quarter      83 x 108 mm     3.25 x 4.25"
Sixth        70 x 83mm       2.75 x 3.25"
Ninth        51x 64mm        2x 2.5"
Just kidding

I once had a stack of dry mounted prints on single or double ply museum board as
my "book" I'd carry around. And even for a short time with window mats. Only so
many of those "sandwiches" you can casually carry around.
Light impressions talks about the use of single ply museum board for that
portable purpose. .single ply boards of both or either sheets.

I've had a Saunders 20x24 four bladed easel for years but in my space i needed
to just get the 16x20 version as of late.
This easel is also nice for printing 11x14's i love it.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA
New Email address is rabiner2@home.com
Website is http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

this weekend  to be changing over to my new domain name markrabiner.com
mark@markrabiner.com