Subject: [Leica] More on politics and the LUG
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:33:15 -0800

Someone whose point of view is important to me has contacted me to say that he is baffled by my recent comment about what I think is or is not OK with respect to politics and the LUG.

To me it is very clear. Maybe I didn't manage to state it so that it is clear to you. Let me try again.

I think it is valuable to know the political positions of those LUG members who wish to state them. Knowing that person A is very liberal or person B is very conservative, or that person C is a deposed tyrant from a third-world country, is useful.

I do not think it is at all valuable to use this forum to try to argue with someone about his political beliefs, or to try to change them. A belief is never right or wrong; an opinion is never true or false. And almost no one ever changes his mind as a result of an online argument.

The statement "I believe X", as long as it is not repeated too frequently or is not the primary component of a message, is fine. What is, in my opinion, not fine, is responses that say "you should not believe X" or "people who believe X are full of crap" or "people who do not believe X are full of crap".

Stating political positions, from time to time, seems to me to benefit the list. Refuting, challenging, or arguing with them does not.

If somebody includes, in a message about photography, a political position that you disagree with strongly, it is fine to add a statement of an opposing position to an otherwise on-topic post or reply. I don't consider it nearly as fine to send a reply whose only content is disagreeing with the other person's position.

I don't consider my own political opinions to be anybody else's business. If I ever state one, you may rest assured that I will pay no attention to anyone's challenging my opinions. I express my political views at the ballot box, with the occasional contribution to a political campaign, and by how I live my life.

I will tell you that I would like to see all of the Taliban dead. Exactly how they get that way I will leave up to to the experts. If you disagree with that belief, please do not use this forum to argue with me.

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] More on politics and the LUG)