Subject: Re: [Leica] R5-R7 decision
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:28:55 -0800

Aram,

I've used many different camera bodies over the years and the R7 is my
favorite. The Nikon F3 is a close second, and these two bodies seem very
much alike to me. All manual, yes, but with just the right features,
relatively modern electronics, and durability. Still, it's hard to believe
that at one point the R7 MSRP was around $2,700.

I never thought the 1/2 stops for shutter speeds was a big feature. But I
like the bright viewfinder, MLU and most of all the size and handling. The
exposure system in any mode is right on. I don't have a motor drive. I've
come close on a number of occasions to buying one, but felt that a drive
would change the feel and handling too much.  Same with a winder. Plus I
the R7 may be the last manual focus SLR body I buy. I want it to last for a
long time. Motor drives can be hard on a body. The R7 can probably take it,
but that's still more pounding than my thumb gives it.

I've considered an R5 or RE as a second body. My SL sort of fits that role
but my one ROM lens (80-200/4) won't fit on it. Plus, my SL has be
relagated to High Speed IR film, something I don't shoot quickly. I usually
carry the R7 and an M6. If I had a backup I probably wouldn't even use it.

Having looked at a dozen or so R5s and REs over the past year I can say I'd
probably still want an R7. It just feels more durable. Whether or not it's
worth the extra money is a tough choice. Rather than features for me it
would come down to how often and how long I plan to use it. I use my R7 a
lot. A couple of times a week at least, and I plan to do so for a long
time. I just bought a 60/2.8 that will probably be my primary R lens. If
you're use the R system a lot I'd go for the R7. I doubt you'll be
disappointed you spent the extra money. If you're use it occasionally, then
the R5 might be a better choice. I don't know how much an upgrade and R5 is
over an R4, though.

Something to keep in mind is that there are really no bargain R lenses. I
use Leica because I think they're the highest quality tools available in
35mm photography.  After I bought 4 3-cam lenses for my SL I bought an R7
and never looked back. Forward at the R8 maybe, but never back :-).

Dave