Subject: Re: [Leica] Dancing and Architecture, was Canon EOS for Leica-style...sorry!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:26:03 -0800

A Canon zoom with a ttl flash wow! The pictures sure come out and they're quite
nice just like the 10 million other photographers out there shooting with Canon
zooms with their dedicated flashes.
We have to have respect for real picture taking by a working photographer. And
by far most certainly use Canon.
But interestingly here an example of when you need amazing speed in a lens Mike
goes to Leica! The Noctilux!
I was expecting the opposite to be illustrated.
Perhaps he has very agreeable to Leica lovers reasons for not having a second
Canon body with the Canon 50mm f1 AF lens?
Would these pictures have come out a bit better if Mike went around gleefully
blasting every one lining up for him with a Leica R with it's zoom and ttl flash?
I think so but who the hell would care in this case?
They sure were not AF dependant.
This outfit and shoot has the Canon as the bread and butter picture taking
machine with the Noctilux on an M as a backup for those excruciating moments
when it seemed completely inappropriate to use flash. It looked like to me.
It's Leica which is the special purpose high speed back up in this case not
Canon with its high speed optics of other focal lengths.

Just a tad ironic as it's kind of being used as an example to prop of the
argument of we need Canon when we need optical speed.

For some reason there is a justification of using two camera systems here, one
off topic for this list, and i don't know what it is. Mike isn't telling us. But
that's really no big deal.
No big deal as i see it on this list we don't pretend other cameras don't exist.
They get mentioned in passing. It's unavoidable. It's reality.

But if someones switching to Canon for it's fast lenes or other reasons perhaps
the best place to get the best information with the least conflict is on the
Canon list. I'm sure they don't mind an occasionally mention of Leica in passing
on their list. AS long as it is well preambled with how overpriced and archaic
they are.

I have no big problem with Simon or Mike and my hunch would be likewise.
Others have jumped on this thing all red in the face with their ongoing agendas
which they'd not care to mention.
A tad rancorous for many and a shame we cant be kinder better people who state
where they are coming from but things were gettin pretty slow around here so
what the hell!?.

I use Hasselblads extensively but i don't go on and on here to the joys and
wonders of medium format and Zeiss for Hasselblad optics with interchangeable
backs which always break.
Although in the past Zeiss and Leitz might have had some things in common.
Some of us have late model Focomats for Peet's sake!  And live and die for 35mm.
I certainly have to respect that!

So i don't ask on this list if the Zeiss 120 f4 macro made for Contax for it's
645 with internal focusing has anything over the Zeiss 120 f4 macro which all
this time has been made for Hasselblad and Rolleiflex with much less elements
and a more traditional Zeiss design.
That would be rude! Who would want to hear all about THAT on the Leica Users
Group? :)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA