Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom exposure (was digit stuff)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:16:52 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> >the "real" hazards are probably insignificant, at the dilutions and times
> >of exposure we generally experience...you're probably in more danger going to
> >the mall.........
>
> I think you hit on the key word, "irritant". You know how some things can
> become more irritating over time!

Hell, Dave,..>I'm<.. probably listed as an irritant in our lab....I'll have to
check and see if they have an MSDS on me...damn, we may have to write one up!!
(you know, "Walt is a known irritant to democrats", or something to that
effect....Marc, help me out!!)

> I still wonder a lot about environmental exposure.
Well, we're all dying, that's for sure---and our environment certainly has
something to do with it...but I >>LIKE<< smoky bars, big steaks, lotsa gasoline,
electricity, loud music, fast cars, loose women (oops, too far)...and "they"
assure me that I'll die from one of these things, or something else maybe...
and it'll DEFINITELY happen in a few decades, or perhaps sooner.

 I have a friend who has
> and ALS type condition that they feel was caused by environmental exposure
> to something. They don't know what.

Yeah, I was in the hospital 4 years ago....they didn't  know what was wrong with
me....now I'm well....cost $6K to find out that I was sick...shoulda bought Leicas
and scotch and sweated out the demons instead....after being
sick as a dog for 7 days, they pronounced me well... I think my insurance
was refusing to pay any longer...BTW, who is "THEY"...is the "they" that DON't
know the same "they" that tell us what's good for us?....I wonder.....

 My son went to Japan over the summer
> with a traveling All-Star baseball team. He did a home stay and spent a
> couple of weeks in an extremely smokey environment.
I'm sure it was, in Japan!!!...as are most of "my" environments, when possible.

He came home with a nasty respiratory problem. Now, for the first time ever,
 he has exercise induced asthma at 14.

I'm sorry about that, but Japan has several times the smoking rates of
our country, and also greater longevity and reportedly better overall health.
For reasons unrelated to you or your son, I can't comment objectively on all this,
AND BTW it is NOT a topic to start on the LUG--Trust me on this one--it's worse
than UV filters...

 Something to think about, but as you say, the hazards
> of standard darkroom chemicals are probably low.

Probably an insignificant part of the danger we experience in our "civilized, industrialized"
world...However, I'll still take our "poisoning" for 75 years rather than 85 years of
living in a "pristine" environment--maintained by "rules" and "regulations".

I like my MTV (and A/C, and remote control, and meat, and cigarettes, etc...
..i.e., ugly american/typical Texan syndrome...bigger, better, more expensive...you
know, very "leica-like"!!--wretched excess at the expense of other pressing needs
of society...it all fits together!!)

BTW, LUG, If you are stupid enough to take me seriously, you deserve me!

CU later, Walt