Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 operating temps
From: Marty Deveney <freakscene@weirdness.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:54:58 +1000

 >I've missed the beginning of this thread and maybe this has been covered
already, but I seem to recall the owner's manual >for my M6s talking about
having the cameras winterized if they are to be used in especially cold
conditions (probably in the ->40º region). By the way, wind chill doesn't
apply to objects such as cameras, only to warm blooded things like people.
All >the wind will do is cool the camera down faster than if there were no
wind.

Cold weather lubricants are an absolute must for use in -20C and below
weather.  Leica can do this for you (as can Nikon and Olympus).

In my case the wind was driving so hard that ice and snow was forced into
all the tiny spaces in and on the camera.  Eventually _everything_
mechanical froze - jammed by ice that the wind had blown into it.  Leica
M's, particularly, were a one-roll proposition, because once you got the
baseplate off, it was almost impossible to get it back on again.  It was
the only time that I have seen film snap.  It didn't do it in the cameras
(luckily) - but we had to be careful when pulling a bit of the leader out
to re-load.  In the end I decided it was a bad joke and went back inside.

Ever seen a picture of a white baby seal in a blizzard?  On Kodachrome, it
looks surprisingly like an accidental 1s @ f1 exposure in daylight.

Marty