Subject: [Leica] giving in to temptation.. all most like the first
From: "Charles C. Stirk Jr." <c.ccstirkjrfoto@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:58:52 -0500

Well I have once again given into temptation.

Being the nice guy that I am I loaned my two M's to a long time friend
and long suffering photo  mentor (thanks Dave) for a few day 's .

I have to admit that I wasn't doing withdraw at all well my every day
bag just wasn't balanced right but I could handle it the F5 wasn't that
heavy with the 50 mm on it , and it can take personal photos ,and I can
be enthusiastic, I tried to convince my self  .

I innocently went into my local shop ,  not a Leica dealer (there are
none in Delaware) to buy some film , browsed the used equipment nothing
that I needed at first glance .

After chatting about a set of fried D1x not mine a set of clients , I
noticed a rather clean M3 double stroke with a Summarit with hood and a
mc meter with the big incident adapter ( that I had only seen in those
books), and a mint ish Hektar 135 mm ( did pass on this at $200 usd ).

All and all I was bit scared that in one quick glance I could identify
all these items , yes I had crossed over , if there was ever any doubt I
now was a Leicaphile.

The range finder was correct ,clean and bright , speeds sounded good ,
never been out of the ever ready case , it had a self timer a first for
me .

I even got out the door rolled a cigarette , thought about that new 90
f2  I was planing on buying and the new eyepiece magnifier .

Then longingly remembered the M3 with the duel range Summicron ( my
first Leica )that was appropriated by Peruvian public safety in 1994 (
interesting story for another time ).

Then convinced my self that the camera and all the other stuff was only
couple of hundred more then just the new eyepiece magnifier and a M3 had
to be just as good if not better with a ninety,  third M body would be
nice with the new lens and I was sure some one on the Lug would have a
need for all the other stuff .

I walked back in with out lighting the smoke and to the amazement of the
very nice clerk well informed on all things film and digital , but niave
in the Leica way  .

So I am now the proud owner of another M3 and it has my old rigid
Summicron on it .

Almost all most feels like my first one , its cleaner then I remember
the first  but oh does it bring back memories .

Like there was this shot of the girl after Rocky Horror at the state
theatre in 12th grade and she......and it was the first time I had ever
.........ok I'll stop

thanks for listening I knew you all would under stand

Chuck