Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Mozart's Requiem KV 626
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:03:55 -0800

Oliver Bryk wrote:

> I'm fascinated by the variety of preferences expressed by our correspondents
> for recordings of this complex work. I grew up in Vienna and heard the
> Requiem performed live on several occasions and in different churches or
> chapels, including St. Stephan's Cathedral (where the Solti recording was
> made much later). I am, of course, partial to the sound of the Vienna
> Philharmonic, and the soloists on the Solti recording include Cecilia
> Bartoli - what more can I say? The quality of the recording permits a
> clarity of reproduction that is reminiscent of my Summicron-M...(admittedly
> a stretch but back on topic?)
> Oliver Bryk

Solti took over my local orchestra my senior year of high school, 1969 I grew up
with Jean Martinon conducting. But then i went off to college and missed Solti
turning the Chicago into the number one band in the world. But i bought the
tapes and then the Cd's. They've won 56 Grammy's. Now he'd gone and the next guy
is in there. Pierre Boulez. Hope he does better than Martinon
	i know he does a great Boléro!
Great for darkroom work you relentlessly keep printing until you the best print
possible from that neg! A whole box of paper!
Not good in your car during rush hour! You end up rear ending the guy in front
of you out of shear frustration!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA